In the 1930’s in Canada, this single-cylinder hit n’ miss engine was reputedly built by manual arts students as a class project. Twenty-two engines were built by the class using castings they made from their own patterns. They also did all the mechanical drawings and the machining on the various parts. At the end of the class some of the engines were entered in the local fair and then sold. Unfortunately, the names of the teacher and student builders did not get passed along when the engine was purchased.
The engine features a battery box with two “D” cell batteries and a coil to provide ignition. The rocker arms are cast, and a sophisticated internal governor is used to regulate the speed. The engine starts easily and is a very good runner. This information was passed on to donor Les Cade when he purchased the engine.