The Red Wing stationary engines made in Red Wing, MN were commonly used to power industrial machinery and farm equipment in the early 1900’s. Harold Beckett, of Longmont, CO, built this 1/4 scale model of the Red Wing from a casting kit in the mid-1990s. It has a bore of 1.125″, a 2″ stroke and burns gasoline on spark ignition. The engine is 17”-long, 11”-wide, and 13”-high. The cylinder passes through the large reservoir in the front which is filled with water for cooling. Stationary engines require manual lubrication before operation and have several oil and grease cups that require re-filling periodically while the engine is in operation.
Stationary engines run a slow speed (500-600 rpm) and rely on their massive flywheels to store the energy necessary to power machinery and equipment.