Listed as a Model J, Class C engine, this 2-cycle, 2-port engine featured rotary valves. It has a bore of .94″ and stroke of .900″ to displace .6245 cubic inches. It is rated at .6 horsepower at 12,500 RPM. It has a compression ratio of 8:1 and weighs 12 oz without coil, condenser or fuel tank. It runs a Champion VR-2 spark plug, 2 of which were included with the donation—as were two props. In 1946, the Atwood & Adams Mfg. Co. was located at 732 N. Lake Street in Burbank, CA. This engine was donated by Bob Stein of Lakeside, CA.
Read the 4-page instruction sheet for the Atwood Super Champion. William E. Atwood (1910-1978) was one of the most prolific and successful engine designers in the 1930s to the 60s. He designed his first engine, a water-cooled 30 cc design, in 1932. The next year he designed the successful “Baby Cyclone” of which over 20,000 were sold. His Torpedo engine design was sold to and built by John Brodbeck of K&B engines. The Champion and Super Champion were made from 1946 to 1948. In 1948 he designed the Triumph engine line, and the next year he produced the Wasp .49 with Bob Holland, which later became the Atwood .49. In 1960, Mr. Atwood joined Cox Manufacturing where he designed the successful Tee Dee and Conquest engines, and worked as a consultant up until his retirement in 1975. He was also a noted model flying competitor and is a member of the AMA Hall of Fame.