Added to museum: 6/21/04
Mel Anderson and his wife Ruth. (Photo submitted by Bob Meza, whose mother worked for Mel in 1952. Click on photo to enlarge.)
From hot rods and motorcycle engines to innovative model engines
By Tim Dannels, Publisher, The Engine Collector's Journal
Mel Anderson made his first model airplane in 1922, powered by rubber. After many rubber powered models, he thought there must be a better way, and in 1929 he made a two cylinder engine powered by compressed air. It was made from brass fishing rod ferrules and is believed to have been the first engine with a front rotary valve.
Mel grew tired of modeling and his interest shifted to hopping up Model T Fords and motorcycles. After a few years of playing with two-cycle motorcycle engines, he thought, "Why not an engine for a model airplane?" In 1932, Mel made his first model engine. It was massive with a 1.125" bore and 1" stroke and an all-up weight of 28 ounces (See Photo 1 below). In spite of its size and age, the workmanship of the Anderson .90 was superb and was a hint of the many fine designs he would later perfect. The cylinder is a well machined iron casting, topped off by a German Bosch spark plug bigger than some of the 1/2A engines he would later build! The piston is cast aluminum with 3 rings. The aluminum crankcase provides for radial mounting only. Automotive points are used on the adjustable timer and the prop hub assembly is a miniature of full-size aircraft design. Carburetion is through a dual throat casting with a throttle and high and low speed venturis. The word "ANDERSON" is cast around the back of the crankcase.
Mel decided that, while it ran well, the engine was too big for practical use and set out to make an engine more suitable for model
use. The front rotary intake on the air motor worked well so he incorporated it on his next gas engine. It had a bore and stroke of 7/8" and a displacement of .525 cu. in. Mel, as he did on the large engine, made his own patterns, core boxes and castings. It was all aluminum with a cast iron sleeve. The piston and sleeve were lapped with the fit tighter at top dead center, a trick Mel learned from his Indian motorcycles. It had an updraft carb and is believed to be the first gas engine to use a front rotary valve and a true needle valve. The name "ANDERSON" is cast on the bottom front of the case. The plug was made by AC as a watch chain ornament in an
advertising campaign (Photos 2 & 3).
In 1936 Mel teamed up with Bill Atwood to design the Baby Cyclone engines. After a short stay, Bill Atwood left Aircraft Industries and Major C.C. Mosley to begin his own long line of engine designs. Mel Anderson stayed on and took the Baby Cyclones through several stages of development. In 1939 Mel designed the famous Super Cyclone and developed it further through several models. After WWII, Mel started his own manufacturing company. The Anderson Spitfire was the first engine he manufactured. Styled after the earlier Super Cyclone, the Spitfire was more robust and delivered quite a bit more power. These started as .60 cu. in. displacement engines, but switched to .65 shortly thereafter. Mel was very quick to jump on the small 1/2A wagon with his beautiful Baby Spitfire. This was followed by a series of small engines.
As a result of a business partner's wrongdoings, Mel Anderson Manufacturing was closed and all tooling and remaining engines were
sold off. Mel then went to work for Gil Henry at VECO where he designed the Series 100 VECO 19, 29 and 35 engines.
More about Mel Anderson and his engines...
From a web discussion group archive...
"...the original Mel Anderson 1/2A engine, the .045 Baby Spitfire had a curious origin. In the early 1930's Mel worked with Bill Atwood (America's most prolific model engine designer, responsible for the original @asp .049 and the Cox Tee Dees) on the first model engines to be manufactured ont he West Coast. These wee the Baby Cyclones: .36 displacement but about the same external size and weight as the Brown Junior .60's. The Baby Cykes were also the first front rotary valve model engines.
In 1948, three separate approaches to tiny model glow engines were made: by Lud Kading and Johnny Bordbeeck at K&B (resulting in the .020 Infant), by Charlie Brebeck ak Herkimer (the OK Cub .049) and by Mel Anderson. To simplify setting the design parameters for his new tiny engine (the term "1/2A" was months in the future), Mel took the easy way out and made the Baby Spitfire's bore and stroke precisely half those of the Baby Cyclone. [JW}]"
Bob Meza submitted the photos of Mel, Ruth and the group shots. His mother worked for Mel in 1952. He noted that the factory was located at 2982 W Pico Blvd in Los Angeles.
Mel Anderson (middle) with associates. (Click on photo to enlarge.)
Mel and employees celebrate an occasion. Note Spifire display at right. (Click on photo to enlarge.)
More about Mel Anderson can be found at the web site of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) at http://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/bio/anderson-mel.pdf. If anyone has any more information on Mel Anderson or photos of him or his factory, please contact Craig Libuse at the Joe Martin Foundation (craig@craftsmanshipmuseum or firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will update this page.
Mel Anderson engine photos
Photo 1--Mel's first engine was large by model engine standards with a 1.125" inch bore, 1" stroke and 28-ounce weight. This engine belongs to Ted Enticknap. Photo 2--The first known engine with a front rotary valve and true needle valve was designed by Mel. It had a .875" bore and stroke and displaced .525 cubic inches. The AC spark plug was made as a watch chain ornament for a spark plug advertising campaign. Photo 3--Another photo of the .525" engine. This historical engine belongs to Bill Simpson and the above photos are by John Morrill.
Engine provided by Tony Pacini, USA
Anderson Baby Spitfire .045 (0.74 cm³), Manufactured in 1949
This engine was the first small engine design by Mel Anderson. The bypass ports are cut into the cylinder just below the exhaust ports and the transfer channels are formed by a hollow between the steel cylinder and the aluminum spacer ring. The fuel tank is attached to the back with a single screw.
Production started in 1949 and special versions were produced for other companies like American Junior, Wen-Mac and Royal. The complete cylinder assembly, from piston to head was also used in Roy Cox first powered race car, the Cox Special. (Contributed by Martin Hepperle. See his site at http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_smallengines.htm for more on small engines.)
A list of engines by Mel Anderson Manufacturing (and all other known manufactures) has been compiled by RJL enterprises. For a complete listing of all known pre-1960 model engines, see their site at http://www.mecoa.com/museum/archive1.html. An archive of more recent engines can be linked to from http://www.mecoa.com/museum/museum.htm.
If you have additional information on a project or builder shown on this site that your would like to contribute, please e-mail email@example.com. We also welcome new contributions. Please see our page at www.CraftsmanshipMuseum.com/newsubmit.htm for a submission form and guidelines for submitting descriptive copy and photos for a new project.
This section is sponsored by
Your source for information about model engines and their history.
Contact Tim Dannels, publisher: P.O. Box 243, Buena Vista, CO 81211. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn how your company or organization can sponsor a section in the Craftsmanship Museum, please contact email@example.com.
RETURN TO MUSEUM HOME PAGE
Copyright 2009, The Joe Martin Foundation for Exceptional Craftsmanship. All
No part of this web site, including the text, photos or illustrations, may be reproduced or transmitted in any other form or by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording or otherwise) for commercial use without the prior written permission of The Joe Martin Foundation. Reproduction or reuse for educational and non-commercial use is permitted.